Find Kil'jaeden on Wowhead:
Loot from Kil'jaeden is 10 ilvls higher than the rest of the instance, and a notable item with flavor text is 执政官的印戒
In the quest 欺诈者的陨落
and related Kil'jaeden cinematic, we witness Velen and Kil'jaeden meeting face-to-face for the first time since Velen's escape from Argus. Velen learns he needs to let go of the past, for himself as well as his son, while Kil'jaeden has a bit of a redemption moment explaining how he felt Sargeras could never be stopped and there was no other way forward.
Players first encountered 基尔加丹
--notable loot included 辛多雷金杖
. Notably, the first version of Kil'jaeden did not have visible legs or fly around. The Legion encounter has some throwbacks to the original encounter, such as Shadowy Reflections spawning.
Earlier in Legion, he makes an appearance in the Subtlety Rogue Artifact Questline
as well as granting
in the Vengeance Demon Hunter Artifact Questline
and Varedis Felsoul the Havoc Demon Hunter Artifact 欺诈者的双刃
The Argus questlines
examine the corruption of Kil'jaeden and Archimonde, retelling Velen's choice to escape.
Learn about the backstory between Archimonde, Kil'jaeden, and Velen in World of Warcraft Chronicle: Sargeras and the Pantheon
. Velen was suspicious of Sargeras' offer and escaped, while Archimonde and Kil'jaeden became corrupt lieutenants and relentlessly tracked Velen down.
Kil'jaeden's story is covered in more detail in several past Nobbel collabs--The Story of Tomb of Sargeras
and the Story of Shadows of Argus
including Velen's escape
Some legendaries reference Kil'jaeden and the Lich King story - 欺诈者的血契
Find Illidan in game:
- In the Black Temple Original Raid Attunement, you can learn how Akama and Maiev worked together to thwart Illidan and gain access to the Black Temple. This questline led to defeating all bosses in the Black Temple, rewarding 卡拉波神圣勋章 upon defeating Illidan.
- Before Legion, Illidan was best known for his appearance in Black Temple:
The Black Temple is the fortress-citadel of Illidan Stormrage, Lord of Outland. It contains tier 6 set pieces as well as many notable items, including 埃辛诺斯双刃. It's also known for providing reputation for 灰舌死誓者, easily earned through clearing the raid a few times.
- 莎赫拉丝主母, 伊利达雷议会, and 伊利丹·怒风 drop the Shoulders, Legs, and Chest for the Tier 6 set.
- Black Temple is also home to the famous legendaries 埃辛诺斯双刃. Obtaining 埃辛诺斯战刃/埃辛诺斯战刃 awards the achievement 埃辛诺斯战刃. Subsequently running Black Temple in Timewalking Mode while having this achievement will award 回忆长存, allowing Demon Hunters on your account to transmog their weapons to the original Warglaives.
- In Legion, Black Temple made a return as the first Timewalking Raid.
- Illidan, as the final boss, has many iconic drops besides the Warglaives, including 怒风徽记之戒, 扎尔杜姆，吞噬者的法杖, 埃辛诺斯壁垒, 萨格拉斯的诅咒视界, and 古尔丹之颅.
Several quests spotlight Illidan's battle with Arthas - 火焰与悲哀的宿命
in Felwood and 猎人与王子
Several quests in Legion attempt to paint Illidan in a more-sympathetic light, as the last time we met up with him, Illidan was the enemy. In this questline, you'll learn about Illidan's conflicts with the other Night Elves, his rejection by Cenarius, siphoning life from the Moon Guard mages to gain power during War of the Ancients, Illidan's sacrifice to gain knowledge of the Legion, and his defeat at Black Temple. The quests in this series are 觉醒
. You can also watch the short cinematic
upon Illidan's defeat.
In early Legion, you must complete 勇气试炼：过去与未来的暗影之王
to find Illidan's soul in Trial of Valor. In the previous quest 伊利达雷的灵魂棱镜
, heavily nerfed over several patches, you must collect soul fragments to create the Soul Prism needed to house Illidan.
In the Gul'dan encounter Archmage Khadgar release Illidan’s soul into his body. On Mythic difficulty it's not so straightforward as players must first cleanse the dark presence lurking in Illidan's body. You can find all the Mythic-only abilities in our coverage of Exorsus' World First Kill
. Illidan then crushes Gul'dan, mirroring Gul'dan's defeat of Varian, and smashes the Skull. You can watch that in the Nighthold Cinematic
In the Tomb of Sargeras
raid, Illidan accompanies us through the instance along with Velen, Khadgar, and Maiev. Upon Kil'jaeden's defeat, Illidan uses the 萨格里特钥石
to open a rift between Azeroth and Argus, making the planet visible in the sky. You can watch the cinematic here
and you can read more about the story of that raid in our past lore collaboration
While Xe'ra believes that Illidan is the Child of Light and Shadow, he puts an end to the prophecy and her attempts to purify him by shattering Xe'ra. You can complete the 光与影之子
storyline to experience this event or watch the cinematic here
. However speculation lives on
that Arator could be the child of Light and Shadow.
Illidan helps us fight through Antorus, the Burning Throne
, and ultimately decides to stay as the jailer of Sargeras. This is interpreted by many characters as a sacrifice, but Illidan looks quite pleased at the thought of tormenting Sargeras for eternity. You can watch the cinematic and read our analysis in this post
Upon defeating Argus, players can tie up loose ends between Illidan, Tyrande, and Malfurion through the 艾洛达尔水晶
which starts 反思之时
to deliver some messages.Find Maiev in game:
- Maiev is back in Legion. We encounter her while leveling in Val'sharah and the Demon Hunter Starting Zone. She tries to stop Gul'dan from taking Illidan's body, and is later held prisoner in Black Rook Hold. In Patch 7.2, she's teamed up with Illidan in Cathedral of Eternal Night and they have some fun dialogue exchanges!
- Maiev was also notably seen in the 伊利丹·怒风 encounter - helping the players defeat Illidan. You can also find Maiev in the Black Temple storyline quest, such as 帮助阿卡玛. In the 危险的秘密 questline, required for Black Temple attunement, you'll work with Maiev and learn more about her motives.
- Maiev has several items about her in game - 月之女祭司玛维的束带 referencing her past life as a priestess, and 玛维·影歌的银币 which can be fished up in Dalaran.
The entities, the old gods, were subtly fanning the flames of conflict to weaken the world’s nations. If left unchecked, those small sparks would have spread to ignite a roaring wildfire of destruction. But they never had a chance to spread. It was not the legendary heroes of past wars who rose up to fight for their world; it was the ordinary citizens of Azeroth who intervened. They began their journeys for different reasons. Some fought for adventure of for the noble cause of justice. Some fought for vengeance and to join the war against a hated faction. Some even fought for money and looked for way to profit from the conflicts. Still others fought for glory, so that their name would be remembered by the entire world. And some traveled alone, while others formed mighty guilds that worked together to fight against the darkness. As the years passed, these extraordinary champions would be called upon to do the impossible. Without them, Azeroth would surely have succumbed to evil.