The prices of Rare and Epic flying mounts and their associated skills are shown below:
|Mount Quality||Skill Required||Riding Skill Cost||Mount Cost|
|Rare (60% speed)||Expert Riding|
|Epic (280% speed)||Artisan Riding|
Notice that the total cost of flying is heavily front loaded on the skill, and the mounts themselves are relatively cheap. This cost distribution was also applied to ground mounts in TBC, with Epic ground mounts costing only compared to for the skill to ride them. In vanilla, this cost structure was reversed, and Riding skill was extremely cheap with expensive mounts. This allowed players with exclusive mounts such as 迅捷祖利安猛虎
to completely bypass the cost of riding by acquiring their mount for free. The new TBC system forces all players to fork up the gold for flying, even those with rare or exclusive mounts that are obtained for free.
Alliance and Horde have separate flying trainers in Outland:
- 联盟 players train with 伊尔萨·枪酒, who is found at Wildhammer Stronghold in 影月谷.
- 部落 players train with 欧尔洛克, who is found at Shadowmoon Village in 影月谷.
In TBC, flying skill has a level requirement of 70
, so you must first progress through the TBC leveling content on foot before you can explore it from above. The one exception to this is the 德鲁伊
class, which will be discussed later in this guide. Blizzard put in the max level requirement so that players could not simply bypass all obstacles in their way when completing quests by flying over packs of enemies. As such, gating flying by level made quest and zone design much more tractable for developers, as players are forced to actually fight their way to quest objectives, and cannot escape from mob infested areas trivially by just flying out. This trend was continued in all future WoW expansions, and more recent expansions impose further requirements after
reaching max level before flying can be unlocked in the expansion's region.
After training the skill, the flying mounts themselves are purchased from different NPCs close to the trainer:
- 联盟 players purchase their mounts from 拉瑟尔·火须, who is found at Wildhammer Stronghold in 影月谷.
- 部落 players purchase their mounts from 达玛·蛮鬃, who is found at Shadowmoon Village in 影月谷.
Finally, Outland contains a number of lucrative farming spots concentrated with gathering nodes or high value mobs. Several of these spots require flying to access, and reward particularly lucrative drops that are required for endgame crafting recipes. As a result, these farms are often heavily contested, with players competing for tags or PvPing to secure their bounty. Below are some examples of farming spots gated by flying:
- The Elemental Plateau, which lies north of the Throne of the Elements in 纳格兰, contains level 70 and 71 elementals of all types: Fire, Water, Air, and Earth. These mobs drop 火焰微粒, 水之微粒, 空气微粒, and 土之微粒, which sell for exorbitant prices on the Auction House since they are used in endgame recipes for pretty much every profession. The plateau also houses several 纯净的水 fishing spots, which each yield 3-8 水之微粒 as well.
- The Barrier Hills, a sub-zone that bridges northeast 纳格兰 and northwest 泰罗卡森林, is a popular gathering spot for herbs such as 法力蓟, which is used in many Alchemy potions and flasks.
- Blackwind Lake in southeastern 泰罗卡森林 is another lucrative farming spot for water elementals, and requires traversing the Skethyl Mountains by flight. It is also one of the only bodies of water housing 高地杂鱼群 pools, in which lucky fisherman may acquire the quirky item 钳子先生.